Sunday, February 15, 2009

Great Great Granny's Banana Cake







This is one of the kids favorite things I make. Now it is also Josh's. It was my granny's, mother's, mom's banana cake recipe. My mom makes it the best, but I'm getting better: It was our Valentine Dessert. I thought I'd share it because it's really good and a favorite.
Ingredients
2-3 very ripe bananas mashed
3/4 Cup Crisco
1 3/4 cup Sugar
2 Cups Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 Cup of sour milk
2 tsp Vanilla
1cup of chopped pecans *optional*
***If you don't have sour milk add 1tsp of vinegar to your 1/3 cup of milk before you start and it'll be ready by the time you need to add it in.
Directions:
Cream Crisco and Sugar together, add eggs mix in good, add bananas, vanilla, and milk mix well, then sift in dry ingredients. In a 9 x 13 cake pan sprayed with Pam, bake at 350 degrees until it tests wet done.
The cupcakes I made took 25 minutes, the extra I put in a small cake pan took about 35 minutes. I start testing at 25 minutes and test every 3 to 5 minutes until it test done in the center.
Cool Ice with home made Butter Cream Icing
This is how I do it, it's how my mom taught me.
1/2 bag of powdered sugar
1 stick of butter softened
1 cap of vanilla
1-3 caps of milk to make it a nice workable texture









1 comment: